Here’s a simple recipe for ensuring a team fails each time, every time:
- Make them feel unsafe:
- as if their job is at risk.
- to speak up or make suggestions.
- to learn from mistakes.
- Take away any sense of autonomy and control their every move.
- Make them feel like their contributions are not valued.
- Pit team members against each other to destroy their sense of community.
- Deny them the opportunity to perform the tasks that bring joy and meaning.
- Deny or sabotage opportunities to learn and grow.
- Paint a bleak or hopeless picture of the future.
- Focus only on the challenges the team faces and lose sight of the successes and strengths.
- Make sure they have no spare mental or emotional bandwidth to handle any new challenges.
When we deny our teams the fulfillment of their basic human needs, their productivity, creativity, and resilience all suffer.
To help your team thrive, look out for “red-flag” leadership behaviors like these and make sure you’re stewarding the best team culture possible.
To learn more or to begin building high performing – and sustainable – teams now, contact me.